Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Island Batik Modern Batik Challenge


Displaying Modern Batik Challenge.jpg

Hi!  This month Island Batik challenged the Ambassadors to make something modern.  Modern quilts, by definition, use one of the following. 
      • the use of bold colors and prints
      • high contrast and graphic areas of solid color
      • Improvisational Piecing
      • Minimalism
      • expansive negative space
      • alternate grid work
Most of my quilts are more traditional, so it's not as easy for me to play with Modern designs. I know some of my designs can be considered Modern.  This time I decided to play with negative space, as well as variations of the same block, but in different sizes.  I picked the Churn Dash block for my main element.  I chose to use the left-overs from the Zen collection I was sent to make my pattern, Zen Baskets.  The background is from an older collection, and is a pale aqua.  

This is one of the photos I shared on Instagram and Facebook, and had a few questions about the size of the blocks.  I'm glad I got questions!  As for the size, the large block is 24", and the small is 3".  I thought it was interesting that someone guessed the large block to be about 9" and that the small one should be just about an inch, total.  I'm NOT that crazy, lol.   I also made 2 6" blocks, a 9" and a 12", and assembled them into a square, using more of the Island Batik background fabric, to float them in the space.  I used random pieces of fabric, until they were all 12" blocks.  



When I added the border, it changed the look of the top, making it seem like the 2 largest blocks are floating in blue, and the others are floating in the background. Maybe I should have added a small border of the background?  If I make something similar again, I'll have to test out the borders first.  I plan to get some Minkee type fabric for the backing, as this would be a great baby size quilt.   I also plan to have fun quilting it with Aurifil.  I'm not sure if I'll get this quilted in May.  I have other secret sewing and some gifts to make.  

Some other recent news:  The pattern for Zen Baskets will be available soon.  It uses 2 1/2" strips and some additional yardage, so save one of your favorite bundles.  

And I'm now also an Aurifil Artisan!  I'm so excited.  You know I use lots of Aurifil in my work, so I'm thrilled that they will provide more thread for me to use.  

Now, if I can get a company to sponsor a long arm, lol. 

If you're looking for more inspiration from the Island Batik Ambassadors, check below.  

Nan from Purrfect Spots Designs
Turid from Den Syende Himmel
Stephanie from Quilt’n Party
Pamela from Pamela Quilts
Anna from Ark Angel Creations
Kathy from Kathy’s Kwilts and More
Jessica from Desert Bloom Quilting
Connie from Freemotion by the River
Kate from Seams Like a Dream
Sharon from Yellow Cat Quilt Designs
Tina from Quilting Affection Designs
Jennifer from The Inquiring Quilter
Barb from Bejeweled Quilts
Sally from Sally’s Quilting Corner
Jeanette from Inch Worm Fabrics
Connie from Kauffman Designs
Joan from Moosestash Quilting
Bernadine from Needle and Foot
Bea from Beaquilter
Cheryl from Cheryl Lynch Quilts
Maryellen from Mary Mack’s Blog
Joyce from Hearts Creations
Marlene from Kissed Quilts
Karen from The Quilt Rambler
Marian from Seams to be Sew
Laura from Slice of Pi Quilts
Linda from Inspired Layers
Vicki from Vicki’s Crafts and Quilting  (You are here)
Nancy from Masterpiece Quilting
Carol from FunThreads Designs
Terri from Meanderings Along Lizard Creek
Alison from Little Bunny Quilts
Suzy from Adventurous Applique and Quilting
Jean-Sophie from Sophie Junction
Janet from Whispers of Yore

Thanks so much for visiting!
Maryellen

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Love the Churn Dash blocks - this is a fun quilt!

Sally said...

Nice work ME...love the contrast and floating blocks!