Tuesday, April 25, 2017

#AdventurousApplique and more.

Displaying Adventurous Applique Graphic.jpg

Hi!  Catching up.  Here's some of what I've been doing.  As an Island Batik Ambassador, we have monthly challenges.  April is Adventurous Applique.  I don't often choose to do applique, but don't actually mind it.  It just takes more work.  But for this challenge, I decided to do a "bucket list" quilt.  A number of years ago, (more than 8), I went to The Cloisters Museum.  It's a great place to visit, just north of Manhattan, overlooking the Hudson river.  I highly recommend it if you have a chance.  The gardens are based on medieval type gardens, and the place has period tapestries, among other things.  It's very inspiring. (And a little creepy because there's a tomb).  One thing I found in the gift shop inspired me to try to do a Stained Glass style quilt.  


It's a book mark, with enamel cherry blossoms.  It's patterned after Tiffany Stained Glass and was inspired by an artist from China (I can't remember the artist, sorry!)  
I also had a book that I picked up at a school book fair. Victorian Doorways could be used as a coloring book, or for inspiration for a quilt.  I used all of the above.  

I taped 4 pieces of paper together, and drew a basic plan.  I put fusible web on the back of the fabrics, and cut them out, and then placed them on my background fabric.  I also had a roll of Clover fusible bias tape.  I know there are a few ways to do this type of quilt.  Some designers use the tape, and others use black background fabric, and fuse fabric on that, to make it look like the leading in stained glass.  In my case, I decided to use the blue Island Batik fabric for the background, and add the Clover tape and black stitching to achieve my look.  So far, all of this has been ironed down.  I do plan to add more of the Clover tape, and stitch the rest of the "leading" with Aurifil black thread, and a wide zigzag.  



So far, I'm happy with how it looks, but have lots of stitching to do.  I haven't gotten to that yet.  

Island Batik also asked the Ambassadors to make a sample with the fabrics soon to be shown at Quilt Market.  My group was Cherry Berry, and we were asked to make it Kennel Quilt size.  I used Aurifil 50wt Mako in 5001, pale yellow, for the simple quilting, using a curvy stitch on my machine.  The yellow background fabric is an Island Batik basic/blender.  
And I finally finished a long-overdue gift for my sister-in-law.  I LOVE making things for people who appreciate the care and work.  My brother and SIL recently moved to Denver. They down-sized into a condo, so the table was smaller, so my original design needed to be modified.  She loved this bunny print, so I picked pinks and greens to make tulips for the center.  It's great for Spring, not only Easter.  I had fun doing some simple quilting in the tulips and leaves, and feathers in the border.  I used Aurifil 40wt Mako in 3660, a sweet pink variegated, and Superior Masterpiece in 129, green, for the leaves.  It's the first time I tried Superior Masterpiece, and was pleased with it.  It was in the latest Ambassador box.  



Arlene was sweet and sent me a photo of the runner on her table.  And the runner on the side board in the back was made by me, too.  Really made me smile to see she was using both!  

And my friend, Christine, is preparing for her daughter's wedding.  I finished the ring-bearer pillow she designed and cross-stitched.  I added a satin frame, and back, and the handle, and stitched the pillow together, after sewing on the buttons and ribbon.  The wedding is this Saturday.  I can't wait to celebrate with her. 



 I also worked on embroidery, stitching the Aurifil 2012 DOM Reboot, and entered that in the linky to hopefully win some Aurifil embroidery floss.  This one was done with Aurifil 12wt Mako thread, and the border is Island Batik scraps.

And I'm working on a gift for the bride and groom, a lap size Triple Irish Chain quilt using Island Batik Rain Forest, a collection from 2016.  I need to finish the borders, and this probably won't get quilted before the wedding on Saturday, but it will be done soon.  The pattern is from Quilt In A Day.  
I guess I've been more productive than I thought.  I did have 3 small finishes to share, but nothing new to add to my store.  I have lots more to do over the next few weeks, so I'll try to keep updated here.  Thanks for visiting, and have a wonderful day.  




2 comments:

Barb said...

Oh my gosh...I love it all....

lizardcreekquilter said...

busy busy lady!! great job!!