Thursday, March 16, 2017

March #MiniMadnessIB Ambassador Challenge

Displaying Mini Madness.jpg
Want to laugh with me?  I got the memo for this.  I really did.  I knew it was a MINI challenge, "Finished size under 24"."  I also knew it was either foundation pieced or English Paper Piecing.  

I also knew I was offered a chance to be an ambassador for QuiltSmart.  They make pre-printed foundations on fusible interfacing.  Sounds like I can combine these 2 things and meet the goal of the Island Batik challenge, right?  Sure.  No problem.  Choose a Stamp pack (5" squares) of gorgeous (no, really gorgeous) Island Batik Desert Rose, cut 8 more 5" squares, add in strips for handles and fabric for lining, and I can make a Mondo bag.  


                                      Mondo Bag Girls
Mondo Girls from the Quiltsmart website.  

This is where I went wrong.  Mondo means big.  As in BIG!  But it's only a bag, with a 10" base and 17" sides.  Sounds less than 24", right?  Keep laughing.  Maybe I should have looked at the Mondo Girls photo sooner, lol

My Sister-In-Law was visiting, and I asked her to model for me.  She's petite, but still, this bag is huge!  Past her knees! lol  Totally a #MarchMadnessMiniIB fail, lol.  

 Using the fusible interfacing was fun.  The directions were good, and the prep and sewing was quicker than expected.  I took the squares out of the pack and arranged them on the interfacing panel, right on my ironing board.  Once I liked the color order, I made sure all the squares were touching, put an applique pressing sheet over it, and pressed.  I did all 4 sections, and then just sewed along the fold lines between the squares, as directed.  I think I had all 4 sections pressed and sewn, and the bag outer body assembled in about an hour.  

The bag is beautiful, and was really fun to make.  I decided to use the 5" squares as they were, not cut them to 2 1/2".  I added a Basics Raspberry lining, and used some of the ribbon from the Stamp pack for trim on the key clip tab.  I also put in 2 pockets, using their directions.  Although I have something to turn the straps, I wanted to do the type where you just press it in half, place the fusible fleece at the fold, and press in the edges, to meet, and topstitch the edges.  If I make it again, I'll add patch pockets, after getting the inner bag assembled.  The ones they recommend are actually angled, where I would prefer them to be parallel to the top.  

So, my Mini Challenge isn't mini.  It's big enough to carry my sewing machine, lol.  It'll make a great project bag, or for the pool or beach.  My mom thinks it's hers, lol.  Anything with purple fabric?  She claims it.  

So, there you have it.  But, maybe I didn't fail the challenge?  I did make the sunglass case and check book covers.  Those are mini.  But not foundation pieced.  Hmmm.  I do have 2 other foundation pieced things to work on.  Maybe I'll get them done in time for this challenge.  

I'm still laughing.  
Thanks for visiting.

Maryellen

3 comments:

Christine said...

Too funny! Beautiful bag.

FunThreads Designs said...

ROFL. cool bag though!!

Quiltsmart.Inc said...

Thank you for using Quiltsmart printed interfacing for your challenge. Love your bag! What a fun and funny account of your sewing adventure using our Mondo bag - if you ever want a "mini" try our Bitty Bag or Midi Bag.