Monday, November 2, 2015

Flying Geese and Corn Mazes

Hi!
I do hope you've taken time to enjoy some Fall activities!
I suggested a name for Mazeilla's 2015 maze, and the theme was Transportation.  My suggestion was "Are we there yet?" and it won on the Facebook contest, so I got 2 free tickets to the 11 acre maze.  I thought my suggestion was fun, because the phrase is a common thing that kids say when travelling, and something you would say if you were lost in a maze.  I'd never done a maze before, and my son and I decided to go.  I'd actually met the Klingle family years ago, when I made costumes for Mary Poppins at Holy Family church.

Since most of my weekends have been occupied by craft shows, it wasn't until Halloween that Matt and I could go.  We had a gorgeous day, and lots of fun.  Mazeilla has a passport, and within the maze, near each vehicle, is a hole punch.  When you find all the vehicles, you've conquered the maze.  Matt and I found a few of the punches easily, but couldn't find 3.  Although we had an idea of what the maze looked like from above, it wasn't until Matt realized he was walking the zig-zag of the Hot Air Balloon that he figured the direction of the photo, and from there we were able to find the last 3 easily.  What made me laugh was we were told to get lost and Matt and I both have a really good sense of direction.  So even if we couldn't find the punches, we knew which way was "out" of the maze.  That was kind of funny.
 I got to pet a llama.  Look at those eye lashes!! 

 Yes, my son is tall, but not quite tall enough to see over the corn, lol.  Gorgeous sky behind him, though.
It was the perfect day for a wagon ride to the maze and other activities, and to visit the farm stand.  I got some apples for a pie for Thanksgiving.  

I also worked to finish the table runner from the You Can Quilt  blog hop.  I made the 3 blocks from the Flying Geese chapter, and decided to make a runner using fabrics from the Coral Reef collection from Island Batik.  Have I mentioned that the colors and fabrics are so pretty?  


I quilted it with Aurifil Mako 50wt cotton in 1243, Dusty Lavender, in the middle shade of purple, 4225, Eggplant, in the darker purple and border, and  3840, French Lilac, a really pretty variegated thread, in the lighter areas, including the background.  Dusty Lavender was in the bobbin for all, because I used Gilded Greenery in Pansy Purple by Blank textiles for the backing.  I did custom quilting on my Viking Sapphire, to accent the shapes of the blocks.  I did a pebble filled center with an outer ring of feathers in the center of the Sawtooth Star block (center of runner) and curves, swirls and loops in the rest of the blocks, with feathers in the sashing and borders.  After 3 bobbins used in quilting, there was very little lint in the bobbin case.  I love that Aurifil hardly ever breaks and is good for my machine, and the colors are really gorgeous with Island Batik fabrics.  


 Blocks are "Breaking Out, Sawtooth Star and Double Star". 


I used 2 1/2" strips for the sashing/inner border, and 4 1/2' wide strips for the outer border.  The finished runner measures 25 by 53" and is available in my Etsy shop, Here.  

Thanks for visiting!  
Maryellen





2 comments:

Christine said...

Beautiful tablerunner! And happy you found your way out of the maze.

reclaimed dining table said...

I love the maze. That looks fun! Llama is the best. I want the lashes!