Sunday, July 5, 2015
Little Dresses for Africa
I saw Jan from Sew and Sow Farm's post about making dresses to donate to Little Dresses for Africa. I knew I had fabric that would work, and enjoy making dresses, so I decided to take a mini-quilting break and make 2 dresses.
I pulled fabric from my stash, and it measured 2 3/4 yards. It's an older print by Benartex, and I knew it would make pretty dresses. The olive background is shaded, and the flowers are a deep magenta. I went through my pattern supply, also, and pulled out a simple dress pattern that I've used before. It's an older Simplicity pattern. I had just enough fabric to make 2 dresses the same, so I layered the fabrics and cut them both out. Although the suggested style is a pillowcase dress, I wanted something a little different, but still a pull-over style. This one has a cute tie for a bow in the back.
I've made many dresses for girls over the years. It was fun to make something like this again.
I have one dress done, and will finish the other tomorrow. I need to do the armholes and attach the skirt. Then I'll send them off. The pattern called these a size 7, and according to the LDFA chart, will be a size medium.
I hope the girls who receive these will love wearing them. The fabric is soft and silky, and they should have fun twirling in the fuller skirt.
As I sewed, I thought of the little girl who had clothes made from this pattern. I was dating her father at the time, and I'm sure she's all grown up now. I hope she's well, and happy. I also thought of my dad's cousin, Sr. Doris. She's a nun, and spent over 40 years working in the schools in Africa.
I'm linking up with Jan today, and I'll be sending 2 identical cotton dresses to this charity.
Thanks for visiting!