Tuesday, February 5, 2013

What a Day!

First, here's the finish! 
Zig A Zag by Eleanor Burns is a great pattern. If you like using strip packs (or 2 1/2" strips of your own fabric) and want something modern and trendy, this makes the perfect lap throw, and can be adapted for different sizes.  Her instructions are perfect! 

Here's my version.  I used a Viola strip pack (YUMMY) by Island Batiks, as well as cream strips from Meringue by Timeless Treasures, plus some really pretty batik yardage I had. 

The finished quilt measures 66 by 73 inches.  It's so soft and the colors are so pretty.  I loved making it. 

I used Aurifil 50wt Mako in a beautiful silvery grey, 2600, that absolutely melted into the seams.  The color was perfect to use in this quilt.  With all the colors in the top, you can't see the thread in the seams.  I really do love piecing with Aurifil.  The top was quilted with Superior's King Tut thread, in a blue variagated, but I did use Aurifil 2315, a perfect match to the back, in the bobbin.  5 bobbins used in the quilting alone.  The zig zags are accented with a leaf and vine design, and I quilted feathers in the borders. 
 
 
Close up of the colors.  Sweet!
 
 
 
Other news today:  It snowed again.  Oh, wait, that's not news in the Pocono Mountains! It's a daily happening sometimes.  This week, we've had a new dusting every day, so we're about up to 4 inches, and will be getting more before the weekend.  The light stuff is fine with me.  I just need to sweep the deck, but not shovel the drive.  The first warm day will melt most of it. 
 
I got an email that I won another Fat Quarter bundle from Windham, so I'll post pictures when I get it.  I also got an email that I won a quilting E-book using Fat Quarters.  Perfect, right??  Then I found out two of my bids on the Operation Homefront auction by SewCal Gal won, too.  So, I better get more quilts done with all these great fabrics coming in!  Better stop at Pocono Sew and Vac, too, to get more Aurifil.  

1 comment:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Lovely quilt..those blues are really pretty.