Sunday, November 11, 2012

Leaves

Hi.  A UFO is now finished.  Well, almost. I do have to sew down the hanging sleeve.  Let me explain.


3 years ago, I started making Autumn Leaves table runners from The Quilt In A Day pattern.  It was fun and fairly easy to make (a little challenging with all the pieces, but pretty when done).  I finished a table runner for my table, and had fabric left for another, so I worked on them 2 years ago.  Last year my friends at Lite Craft added fibre optic lights to 2 of them (one is in my store https://www.etsy.com/listing/85073438/autumn-leaves-lighted-table-runner ) and the other needs to be finished.  I know!! Another UFO.  Or UnFinished Object.  I'll get to it.  It just needs backing, the pocket for the battery pack, and binding. 

Back to this one.  I made the leaves, but couldn't find border fabric I wanted to use.  I found it last year, but it was closer to Christmas, and it got pushed aside again.  So, this year I was determined to finish it. 


I listed it in my Etsy store.  It measures 40" square, and I played with the quilting designs.  I think it is cute!  The leaves were quilted to look like veins.  I used a creamy nylon thread, so it would blend a little, but still give accent to the colors behind it.  I did feathers in the outside borders.  I am practicing them constantly.  I want to do something a little different on each quilt I do, so I did the feathers to meet in the corners, and overlap each other.  It's fun to practice all the designs, and make them my own and make them different.  I see improvement.  I really want to work on some curvy feather plumes.  They look so pretty.  I'm waiting for the next top to speak to me so I can practice them.  The skills that this take get better with practice.  That's the fun part.  But I still have to sew down the hanging sleeve.  I can probably do it on the machine, if I'm careful.  It's faster!  Then it's ready to go.  Thanks for reading!



No comments: