Wednesday, September 12, 2012

An Almost Finish!!

Yes, almost finished. 

I started this purple Braid in A Day quilt a few weeks ago, when I was visiting Long Island for my dad's birtday.  I made the top, brought it back to PA, got it layered and started quilting.  I came back to NY thinking I would be able to finish and get it listed in my Etsy shop, but discovered I forgot to pack the dark purple fabric for the binding. 

So, I figured I would list it anyway, and show some more pictures here.  I'll finish it next week when I go back.  Why such a long stay??  Well, Arlene, Julia, my nephew John and I went apple picking at The Milk-Pail farm, and I had Laura come and do my hair today (YEAH for a great cut/color!!) and Saturday is Quilters Take Manhattan, and I WON a ticket (YEAH for another win) and Tuesday is John's Kiwanis Pasta Dinner at Pompei, and I don't want to miss that.  I plan to sew with John Jobin, too, and hopefully with Christine.  It's a working FUN visit. 

Anyway, here's the braid.  It's all quilted.  I used Aurifil 50wt thread for piecing and for the dark purple feathered section, and a 40wt variagated (Aurifil, of course!!) for the braid and outer border quilting.  When I get home, I'll do the binding in the dark purple fabric.  I played with the quilting, and think it came out great.  I wanted each part to have a different design.  I do want to plug Sew Cal Gal's Free Motion Quilting Challenge, and Angela Walters.  I am getting better with my feathers, and the other designs were just fun to play with! 

Oh, that little bit of dark purple floral on the right is the backing.  It's a Timeless Treasures 200 thread count cotton wide backing, and lovely to work with and quilt.  It's really pretty.  That's the correct color, but there's a picture below that shows more of the print.



 
 
This is an inside shot, to hopefully show off some of the quilting.  The colors are truer on the pictues taken outside. 
 
Detail of the backing, but look above for truer color. 
 
I have to re-hem a dress for my mom for my cousin's daughter's wedding this weekend, and I'm working on finishing an Autumn theme wall hanging I started maybe 2 years ago.  I found border fabric last year, but the season changed before it was completed.  Now's the time!!

2 comments:

sewfunquilts said...

Wow! Maryellen, that is gorgeous...love the fabrics, and your quilting looks terrific.

I've got to get back to blogging...so much happened this summer, just had to give up something..and my blog was it.
Vowing to do it again.

hugs to you
Judy

tlcala4me said...

I love the outside shots. It would be perfect for a girl's bed or a picnic blanket. Very pretty!