Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Quiche me!!



Another favorite recipe.  My niece Lisa had a birthday brunch for her little son Noah, and made a variety of quiches, and I contributed peach struesel muffins, blueberry muffins, and chocolate chip loaf.  They had little bagels and fresh fruit and crumb cake.  I have recipes for all, and will eventually get them on here, but today I'm making Quiche.  My favorite is broccoli, white cheddar and bacon.  Sometimes I add cubed apples, too.  You can add whatever you like to the base.  It is perfect to freeze after it's cooked and easy to reheat.  This is based on Lisa's quiche recipe.

So, if your friends are coming for lunch, you can whip this up in about 15 minutes.  Add a salad and fruit, and you have a perfect treat for your sewing buddies.  It bakes in about 45 minutes, then you can let it set for about 15. 

Quiche

Preheat oven to 350*.  Bake for about 45 minutes. 
(Mine is a little more browned than it should be, oops, lol)

1 unbaked pie crust (I use Pillsbury roll out.  I buy them at BJ's and freeze them,)
3 eggs, whisked until blended
1 cup milk
1 tbsp flour
1 cup shredded cheese
fresh ground pepper to taste
1 cup of your favorites;
Suggestions:  Frozen broccoli, spinach, bacon, ham,  baking apple, asparagus, swiss cheese, cheddar

1. Place pie crust in your favorite pie pan, and flute the edges. 
2. Mix remaining ingredients and pour into shell. 

Bake at 350* for about 45 minutes.  It should be lightly browned and not be runny.

Really, that's it!  So easy, so tasty, and you can impress your guests.  You can play with any additions, and add more if you prefer.  I love it for a light dinner, too.  It reheats well in the microwave (cover with plastic wrap.)  Tonight's version has 3 to 4 strips of cooked, drained and crumbled bacon, white cheddar, and more than a cup of broccoli.  I do prefer grating my own cheese.  I buy a bulk piece from BJ's or Sam's club, and use a food processor.  It tastes better than the pre-grated in the stores, which have added cellulose to prevent caking. Don't they make sponges out of that stuff??  You can even grate the whole block and freeze the rest.  And yeah I do add extra cheese.  I grate a little over 8  to 10 ounces in weight, and lots of broccoli.  For ham, I usually get deli sliced, and cut up about 4 or 5 slices into little pieces.   

No comments: